Friday 27 January 2012

"Try not to kill people"

As with most people of a certain age, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was (IS!) a huge deal to me on so many levels, and after discovering this awesome Tumblr called Buffy Outfits I suddenly remembered how much style inspiration my teenage self got from this amazing series. It should come as no surprise that the character I wanted to dress like the most was Willow Rosenberg.
Since I no longer live in the late 90s and now have the magical ability to screencap (oh god remember VHS? remember it? I still have all my favourite episodes on video tape. Thank you BBC.) I can think of no better use of my time than writing a post dedicated my most coveted Willow ensembles.

Let's start with my absolute favourite:
You wish you looked this good after waking up next to a dead body

The Bunny's Dog Walking service shirt. I am not exaggerating when I say I searched the entire internet for this shirt. It never turned up. I still want it just as bad, if not more than I did back then. If anyone knows where this shirt is from, call me, email me, fax me, come to my house, I don't care! I don't need no ugly Isabel Marant sneakers. Just this Bunny's Dog Walking Service shirt.

Printed shirts were a favourite:
As seen on TV!
That kitty shirt. You know the one.
I did manage to find this shirt in t-shirt form. I didn't look that good in it because I am not Willow Rosenberg.
Willow also started my obsession with shearling coats. I now have quite a big collection of 70s-ish (FAUX OR VINTAGE!) shearling coats, but of course, none of mine are as amazing as this beauty:
Wait for it....wait for it....
Holy embroidery Rosenberg
 This coat was so amazing it was actually reworn on several episodes. Four for you, Buffy styling team. Quite an upgrade from the previous version which you can see here paired with, of course, a pink velvet maxi dress.
Finest in hostage wear.
Is it a jumper? Is it a poncho? Who cares! You look good!
If you were a teen in the noughties you probably wore outfits like this. I love her weird cactus tote bag. Bonus points for Buffy re: those trouser cuffs.

 
Also a pretty big phase: the maxi skirt-sneakers-n-fitted-top look.

I should've gotten a close up shot of this shirt. So good.
If I remember correctly Willow had to run from evil in this outfit. I don't know how she does it.
Back to the 90s: gotta have your dungarees. Alexa Schmalexa: Willow is the original dungaree queen.


Nice lava lamp
She probably looks so smug because she knows you'll be rocking that dip dye stuff next summer..
Proper fit: optional
On that note: I love how her standard "geek" look has now become incredibly stylish. I bet British it-girls wish they could write such killer book reports.


To keep you warm on those cold Sunnydale nights:
The 90-est jumper -ever-
Channeling Elliott from E.T. is always a classic look
Mohair!
Adidas are a must. Match with your friends, have torrid affairs.
Even relax time Willow is stylish in tartan.


Of course you need to have the right accesories for these outfits. Must haves are:

Neon Band-Aids to cover up unsightly bites and scratches
Pez witch
Lastly: Willow taught me that you can be a massive geek but still be totally awesome when participating in social events. It helps if these events are costume parties.

(none of my social events are costume parties)

Cheer up! You look adorable!
Classic, curse-proof.
Even though my tastes have changed over the years I would jump at the chance to own Willows wardrobe. I honestly will never get over that Bunny shirt, really. Because let's face it: as much as I love geeky old man clothes, I will never look as good as Rupert Giles.

Just look at him. Clutching all those unhealthy snacks and he still looks smarter than all of you and your parents combined.
Grrr. Arghh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment