Friday 20 December 2019

What Would Willow Wear: Gingerbread

Okay so according to my site stats the post I wrote about Willow Rosenberg fashion is pretty much the most popular thing that has ever come out of my hands that isn't cat treats in front of a mostly cat-based audience. The more "vintage" Buffy the Vampire Slayer becomes the more amazing these outfits get and my burning wish to do more Willow fashion recaps is starting to overpower my fear of being seen creating content for the sake of producing clickbait, so since the world is ending (again??) I am just going to do whatever the hell I want and that is posting pics of Willow Rosenberg's outfits with commentary entirely out of chronological order.

What else am I going to do, actual work? Get out of here.

Okay so the episode I will be covering today is one of my all-time favs: Gingerbread. Buffy and Willow are suspected of murdering a bunch of creepy German children as part of some sort of occult ritual and almost end up getting burned at the stake. Does extreme heat hinder their fashion sense at all? Like hell it does.

We start out with Willow (who has recently reconciled with Oz after making the worst mistake a girl could possibly make, which is making out with Xander) at the lunch table discussing birthday things and wearing another top tier stripes-across-the-sleeves 90s jumper. I may be detecting a hint of mohair here but it might also just be VHS resolution fuzz.

Ever wondered what "Being smug over having absent parents" looks like? This is it.


Buffy's mum might have gone all out at her MOO meeting but the real star of the event is, of course, the semi-wide shot that shows us that Willow paired this jumper with a tartan skirt which knowing her can only be a mini paired with opaque tights.

Never again? I couldn't disagree more, this is a LOOK

 Close up of that stripe detail that I wish someone would explain to me - why was this such a thing in the 90s? I'm not complaining, I just want to know.


As you can see this was paired with a sort of gem necklace with stars? Butterflies? It can be anything you want it to be at this resolution really.



After the meeting Willow of course changes into her dress robes because you would not want an amazing outfit like that to get spoiled by various Wicca liquids.


It's the next day at Sunnydale High, which is still in California, which means that OF COURSE you will opt to slip into...


a nice knitted thermal top featuring a wintery skiing scene! Not going to lie as ridiculous as it is in this context I really want this top, but then again I was really into Paul Frank (who made some brilliant versions of this thing) and am cold af all the time and want people to know about it without having to talk to them.

Willow gets in trouble. Her coping mechanism for this? LAYERING.

Can't help but wonder if she had this unnecessary second jumper stashed in one of those cargo pants pockets all this time

Choker detail. Willow is hella sarcastic about Satan.

Willow learns her lesson about over-layering and using dial-up internet after almost getting set on fire by a mob of angry Republican looking parents so it's honestly a treat to show you that by the end of this episode we are gifted with some supreme Rosenberg staples, namely

D-D-D-D-DUNGAREES! With a printed longsleeved tee!

And ADIDAS! Sorry Amy move aside, you're not the star of this shot.

Bonus points for matching candle and incense smoke colours! Could they care any less about having all the space in the world to safely burn stuff yet doing this next to what looks like a highly flammable bedskirt? I love this show so much.

That was it for my return to super-niche fashion blogging for now, did you enjoy it? Please feel free to Grrr Arrrgh any specific episodes you'd like me to cover (the earlier the better, I am not ready for any of that renaissance fair wear yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment